Monday, August 3, 2009

Dirty Projectors - "Bitte Orca"


Ever since I heard the first notes of "Knotty Pine", the Dirty Projectors' collaboration with David Byrne for the "Dark Was the Night" charity album, I knew that the Dirty Projectors were one of my new favorite bands. Why, though? I'm not entirely sure. Maybe it was the charming vocal harmonies created by Dave Longstreth, Amber Coffman, Haley Dekel and Angel Deradoorian. Maybe it's the plucky, highly rythym-influenced guitar work by Amber and Angel. Maybe it's the intricate, all-over-the-place beats concieved and played by Brian McOmber. I'm not entirely sure, I just know that the Dirty Projectors rock.

The band's lineup has greatly varied throuh the years of their existance...from 2002-2005, they had an epic lineup of 15 members, including two members of Vampire Weekend, Ezra Koenig and Rostam Batmanglij. In 2007, they toured with only Angel, Amber and Brian. But the Dirty Projectors have always had a quirky, melodic and complicated sound.

The album "Bitte Orca" opens with Cannibal Resource, a solid track in itself. The second track, is an equally impressive tune entitled "Temecula Sunrise". The fourth track is the first single, and one of my favorites. "Stillness in the Move" is wild, crazy and fun. It has a soulful chorus with some impressive vocals from Angel Deradoorian. After this is the soft, violin-spiked "Two Doves". Next, the Projectors go poppy, synthy, and even hip-hoppy, I would say, on the sixth track, "Useful Chamber". The seventh track is another good one, entitled "No Intention". Dave Longstreth takes the mic again for this one, and his falsetto is pretty flawless...he sort of reminds me of Antony from Antony & the Johnstons and the disco side project, Hercules & Love Affair. The last two tracks, "Remade Horizon" and "Flourescent Half Dome" are packed with instrumentals and provide an epic closer to the album. I would recommend this album to almost anyone...the whole gang really knows what they're doing. The instruments are played very well and all of the vocals are way more proficient than one would expect from a rock band. The Dirty Projectors are a very appealing band that I feel I will still like a year from now.

Key Tracks: "Cannibal Resource", "Temecula Sunrise", "Stillness is the Move", "Useful Chamber", "No Intention"

Below, hear "Cannibal Resource" and the charity track with David Byrne that introduced me to the Dirty Projectors, "Knotty Pine".


No comments:

Post a Comment