Sunday, August 2, 2009

the Horrors - "Primary Colours"



I'm sorry that I haven't been on in a few weeks. I've kind of slipped out of the routine, but I'll try to do a few more reviews this week.

I recently bought the new Horrors record, "Primary Colours", at the suggestion of a friend, and I listened to it earlier tonight.

What an album. The Horrors explore their sound a lot more than they did on the mediocre precedent record, "Strange House". The Horrors' sound, in short, is fuzzy, off-kilter rock, stirred with abnormal chord progressions and some interesting-sounding loops. On this record, the Horrors throw in some synths and the like that were absent on "Strange House" A lot of the tracks on "Primary Colours" are quite dark, including the bleek love song "Who Can Say", which just so happens to be one of my favorite tracks on the album. Some of the other songs are brighter and poppier, more reminiscent of some eighties rock bands such as Echo & the Bunnymen and the Jesus & Mary Chain, like on another one I like, "You Could Never Tell", the closing track. The first single, "Sea Within a Sea", is nearly eight minutes long, making it the longest track on the LP, and it's broken into two sections seperated by a long, slightly prog-like interlude. Before this is the title track, which, once again, has that eighties rock feel that I really like.

I enjoyed "Primary Colours" from beginning to end, this is a great effort from a band that seems to go nowhere but up.

Key Tracks: "You Could Never Tell", "Primary Colours", "Sea Within a Sea"


No comments:

Post a Comment